"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 6 July 2014

Elections Are About Making a Personal Choice.

I left out the critical answer to the critical question.  Debenture payments include principal and interest, Interest shrinks as a proportion and principal grows as the term proceeds. It's like a house mortgage.

Buying  money is part of the cost.  When estimates for  the project is stated  and does not include cost of the money , true cost is known but not disclosed.

************************

The  other question  was about  candidates  to fill  the vacant Council seat.

The date for Council  to choose, elect or  select is at the end of July.

As soon as the clerk has  names  I imagine  they will be available on the web site. There's a document on the reception desk  providing names of registered candidates . I expect the same to be done  with names to fill the vacancies.  I think they may have to pay a fee  to register as well.

That process is about determining  eligibility to be a candidate and swear an Oath that you are who you say you are.

Everything will be public, including Council voting for individuals  It means  Council members will be turning thumbs down on all but one on  the public stage.

As i said before, I can't believe that's what legislation intended.

Richmond Hill did it with a year of the term left.  There was controversy. The Mayor was accused of
fixing the vote  for his choice to fill the seat.

As  I write it strikes me as fairly  predictable for the Mayor to want someone of his choosing in the vacant seat. That's how elections work.

If  someone with experience comes forward ,who has attended council meetings. could slip into the seat  and pick up the thread of things without missing a beat , whose  integrity I trust absolutely, I will be voting for  that person and I don't mind saying so right now.

If he doesn't come forward, I may not even show up for the charade.

*****************

I have had a comment to the last post. I don't know if it's sarcastic or sincere.

I gave it the benefit of the doubt.

If I dismiss it as  sarcastic and it isn't. I am a fool.

If I accept it as sincere and it isn't, I am a fool.

I've  opted to take it as well meant.

That way I am not the loser.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richmond Hill's appointment was a sham. I wanted to see the process after missing the process of Gallo's appointment in Aurora. It was a sham. To see the faces of the candidates when the appointment was made was unreal. It was democracy at its worst. I hope to never witness something like that again.

Anonymous said...

Was it a sham, 17:13?

Anonymous said...

It would be bizarre if no one wanted the job.

Anonymous said...

What exactly would happen if we didn't fill the seat? Has anyone looked into that scenario? So we break the municipal act! Like that's never happened before! We're a few months away from an election and a handful of meetings away. What's the worse that can happen?